Mezzanine and other high-level platforms can be used for storage purposes if built and used effectively. These platforms can be of benefit for companies in need of extra capacity within their factories or warehouse facilities without the need to extend or even move location. Health and safety should always be at the forefront of operations and warehouse design/planning, pallet gates can help make businesses more efficient as well as safer.
The HSE states that all companies should ensure their mezzanine floors have protection and safety loading pallet gates to prevent workers from falling. Employers should refer to the following guidances for safety:
- BS EN ISO 14122-3:2016 Stairs, stepladders, handrails, safety gates and mezzanine gates
- The Work at Height Regulations 2005 apply to all those working at height where there is a risk of fall liable to cause personal injury.
The duty to perform the risk assessment lies with the following individuals:
- An employer of the individual(s) who will be carrying out the work
- A self-employed person carrying out the work
- A person controlling the work of others
For more detailed information the Ajax whitepaper will provide more detailed guidance on the compliance issues regarding working at height.
The following questions should be asked so risk control measures and safety can be effectively managed on mezzanine floors:
- Does the mezzanine floor need accessing frequently?
- Why is the mezzanine floor being accessed?
- What types of items need to be moved to and from the mezzanine or platform? Are they small, large, bulky and heavy?
- What equipment measures are being used to move items?
- Are measures being used to access work on the mezzanine or platform regularly inspected?
- Are there safety barriers in place to stop employees from falling from the edge of the mezzanine?
- Is the mezzanine structurally sound?
- Is the floor of the mezzanine or platform appropriate for the work task?
Pallet gates can be used in conjunction with a mezzanine floor by enabling you to safely load items from a height with no need for an employee to stand by an open edge. Pallet gates protect employees at the exposed opening points to provide protection for employees.
There have been some instances where these installations are dangerous to operate or are routinely left open and can be accidents waiting to happen! Safety pallet gates are required to allow for forklift access whilst separating personnel from the mezzanine, platform edge and moving pallets.
The technical team at Ajax Safe Access have developed an extensive range of safe access solutions to improve productivity and support a safer working environment. For more information and to discuss safety access systems please call: 0115 986 6321 or email: email@example.com